While it was the most viewed fashion show in the world, the incredible lingerie show Victoria's Secret is now in turmoil. Interviewed by the Australian daily Daily Telegraph , model Shanina Shaik announced on Tuesday, July 30, 2019 that the event would not take place. " Unfortunately, the Victoria's Secret show will not happen this year, " she said. " It's something I'm not used to, because every year I train like an angel, but I'm sure in the future they will try to work on branding and new ways of doing things. the show because it's the best in the world. "
If the news is surprising, it is not really surprising. For several months, the brand is singled out especially because of the retrograde image that the show returns women. In an interview with the American edition of Vogue in 2018, Ed Razek , the brand's former marketing director, sparked controversy by claiming the parade was a kind of fantasy and that transgender and larger models did not not their place. Discriminatory remarks that led to many calls for the boycott of the brand for its lack of inclusion, while in September 2018, Savage x Fenty of Rihanna highlighted all the morphologies and ethnic groups.
Shortly after the parade of 2018 and following a considerable audience drop, Leslie Wexner , Director of the company, had already mentioned the desire to change the event: " We decided to rethink the strategy of the brand so that it can evolve and grow.And it is in this spirit that we decided to rethink the traditional Victoria's Secret fashion show by reviewing new ways to recreate the show, "he said. In an attempt to redeem itself, the brand had relaunched its collection of bikinis last March. Problem: it only offered sizes from XS to XL. By canceling its show of 2019, the lingerie giant proves once again that it still can not get back on track and modernize.